Services we offer:
Civil litigation – advising clients, drafting of Court documentation including pleadings affidavits, witness statements, advices, attendance in chambers hearings, attendance at trials with counsel at all levels including the District Court, the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal
Companies and Commercial – everything from routine company formation and advice, shareholders agreements, shareholder disputes and related documentation, winding up proceedings, contentious and non-contentious work in relation to schemes of arrangement, commercial agreements and related documentation, capital reduction, issuance of preference shares and rights issues, and acquisitions, advising on and preparing representations in relation to Stock Exchange disciplinary hearings and SFC investigations
Construction and arbitration – acting for employers, architects, main contractors and subcontractors in a wide range of construction related matters including advising on contract wording, tenders, submissions and contract documents, correspondence, dealing with a wide range of disputes both in the courts and by arbitration proceedings including proceedings concerning building and foundation works, drainage works, electrical and mechanical engineering works marine engineering works, roadworks and a range of other subcontract works; applying for injunctive relief to protect work and to obtain mareva injunctions against disposal of vessels
Conveyancing – routine conveyancing matters including advising clients, supervising drafting of conveyancing documentation including agreements for sale and purchase, mortgage documentation, assignments and transfers, powers of attorney, dealing with litigation arising from conveyancing including title defects, dealing with experts in relation to potential title defects, handling court proceedings both on vendor and purchaser summonses for determination of title and by way of writ
Family law – divorce and ancillary relief proceedings including drafting of documentation, advising clients, and court attendances, and advising on other family-related issues such as separation, adoption, and domestic violence
Insolvency – documentation and court applications in relation to schemes of arrangement under section 166 of the Companies Ordinance in relation to companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, and individual voluntary arrangements under the Bankruptcy Ordinance, general workouts and compromises and related advice and documentation
Intellectual property – trademark and patents applications and objections, dealing with infringement of copyright, trademarks and patents, applying for injunctive relief to protect intellectual property rights and to obtain evidence of infringement
Wills and probate – advising clients on content and drafting of wills and estate planning, dealing with Hong Kong estate duty matters, applying for grants of probate and letters of administration
Some of the contentious matters which our solicitors have dealt with include:
- Acting for sub-contractor in arbitrations against main contractor for electrical, fire services and ACMV installation under school improvement programmes
- Applications to the Court to seek leave to appeal on point of law against arbitrator’s award
- Acting for sub-contractor in claims against main contractor in respect of development of Stanley Prison, Hong Kong involving claims in excess of HK$6 million
- Acting for sub-contractors against main contractor in Court proceedings concerning claims relating to reclamation and dredging works at Kwai Chung Container Terminal 9 and Tung Chung Development Phase 3A Reclamation involving claims for over HK$37 million
- Acting for main contractor joint venture involved in construction of superstructure of a KCR West Rail station against sub-contractor in proceedings for injunctive relief and damages arising from defective works and unsatisfactory progress
- Acting for main contractor of a reservoir development, against sub-contractor for injunctive relief and damages arising from defective works
- Acting for main contractor for roadworks construction of a major Tseung Kwan O residential development against sub-contractors for injunctive relief and damages arising from defective works
- Acting for major listed construction group in scheme of arrangement involving restructuring of debts of HK$1.76 billion and acting for the group in appeals against the scheme to the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal and successfully dismissing the winding-up petitions. The relevant judgment is now a precedent in common law jurisdictions. Advising on numerous construction related claims
- Acting for another listed construction group involving a scheme of arrangement and for the group in the appeal against the scheme to the Court of Appeal, advising on 100+ construction-related claims ranging from hundreds of thousands of dollars to claims of over HK$300 million including claims in respect of the Airport Ground Transportation Centre, Airport Express Kowloon Station and Airport catering facilities, and advising on claims of several hundred employee/preferential claims
- Acting for a major construction arm of another listed company in relation to a proposed scheme of arrangement involving restructuring of debts of around HK$600 million
- Acting for companies in relation to numerous applications for determination of various issues arising from restructuring and restructuring documentation
- Acting for creditors seeking to oppose various restructuring efforts of their debtors
- Acting for the white knight in a proposed scheme of arrangement forming part of a rescue package for a major subsidiary of a listed company
- Acting for a major subsidiary of a listed company in relation to Court determination of provisions of a scheme of arrangement involving claims in excess of HK$230 million, and instructing English Queen’s Counsel to appear in Hong Kong
- Acting for main contractors and sub-contractors in numerous other construction-related claims involving varied issues in building construction, the provision of building services, marine engineering and dredging works, and arbitration
- Providing legal advice on strategies, merits of each case and court procedural matters, supervising legal representatives in criminal proceedings and civil proceedings against main contractors in respect of government building repair and maintenance contracts for at least HK$31 million
- Providing legal advice on strategies, merits of each case and court procedural matters, supervising legal representatives in legal action for and against the claims of sub-contractors in respect of government highway/road maintenance contracts and building repair and maintenance contracts each for several million dollars
- Providing legal advice on strategies, merits of claims against former shareholders and directors of employer companies
- Providing legal advice on strategies, merits of each case and court procedural matters, supervising legal representatives in legal action for breach of loan agreements and guarantees actions.
- Acting for sub-contractor in marine construction claims for the sum of at least HK$20 million against main contractor in relation to Penny’s Bay – Disney Park project.
- Acting for sub-contractor in plant hire claims against main contractor in relation to Penny’s Bay – Disney Park project.
- Acting for sub-contractor in construction claims for the sum of at least HK$20 million against main contractor and employer in relation to Lamma Island Power Station project.
- Acting for debtor in an individual voluntary arrangement involving claims of over HK$275 million
- Acting for shareholder in disputes and winding-up proceedings involving company property in excess of HK$100 million
- Providing continuing extensive advice to nominated sub-contractor of Airport Project in pending arbitration involving claims and cross claims of over HK$200 million on evidence, merits, and strategy.
- Advising directors of listed companies on ICAC, and criminal matters arising from the course of their employment and in an investigation and criminal proceedings
- Acting for directors of listed company in disciplinary proceedings before the Listing Disciplinary Committee of the SEHK, the Review Committee of the same and the Listing Appeals Committee
- Advising shareholders of listed company in relation to hearings before the Takeovers and Mergers Panel of the SFC
- Providing advice on Hong Kong law and strategy in relation to winding-up proceedings of locally listed company in its country of incorporation by minority shareholders
- Acting for a major shareholder of a company holding PRC TV airtime reselling rights in a shareholder’s dispute involving in excess of HK$400 million
Corporate and Commercial matters
- Acting on various Schemes of Arrangement for listed companies and their subsidiaries as regards restructuring of debts in the region of, in the three main cases of HK$1.7 billion, HK$400 million and HK$600 million
- Acting for a listed company on the issue of preference shares
- Acting for a listed company in an acquisition
- Acting for a major operating subsidiary of a listed company in relation to a capital reduction involving over HK$120 million
- Acting for a listed company on joint venture documentation and providing related advice
- Commercial drafting including construction sub-contracts, tenders, money lender agreements and security documents, joint venture documentation, company acquisition agreements, on-line marketing agency agreements, employment contracts, web-site sale and purchase agreements.